Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Herb Roasted Turkey


I didn't really use a recipe for this, but I'll try to give you a good overview of what I did.

I melted about 4-5 tablespoons of real butter and then mixed in some rosemary, oregano, marjoram, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.


I brushed the turkey all over with the butter mixture. I used the remainder of the butter and brushed it under the skin. To separate the skin from the meat I took a wooden spoon handle and carefully separated it a little at a time so that I wouldn't break the skin.


Next I cut up a red onion I had in the fridge and some carrots and placed them inside the turkey cavity (in hindsight I would also add a few cloves of garlic as well). I placed the turkey in a disposable roaster pan and then took some lemon juice and squirted the outside and inside with it (if I had had real lemons I would have put them inside the cavity as well).


I put it in the oven at 325 degrees for about 3 hrs and 20 min, basting it about every 30 minutes with its own juices. When I took it out I tented it with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes.


This is the first turkey I have every done all by myself. Kyle brought the turkey home from his work party and I had no room in my freezer for it, so I just decided to cook it after it had thawed out.


The end result was a gorgeous, moist, delicious bird!

1 comment: